The amount of carbon dioxide released by you in the atmosphere is known as carbon footprint. Carbon dioxide is one the greenhouse gas that is solely responsible for global warming. Even if you are not producing it directly bu burning coal or fossil fuels, there are many indirect ways by which you are generating large amount of carbon footprints. Being a part of this environment, it's our responsibility to take care of it and lower our carbon emissions as much as we can. Here are listed few ways via which you can reduce your carbon footprints.
How Can You Reduce Your Carbon Footprint
1. Leave your car at home and ride bicycle to reach your office .. This will help you to reduce weight, save money on fuel and also you will be able to reduce your carbon footprint.
2. Make use of renewable energy as much as possible. Try to tap in solar energy by installing solar panels at home. If you live in coastal regions try installing a small wind turbine at your backyard.
3. Replace your bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs. CFL consumes 40% less electricity as compared to traditional bulbs.
4. Make use of maximum daylight. Keep your curtains open and let in as much sunlight as you can, in your home. This way you will be able to reduce your electricity bills to a great extent.
5. Try to use cold water instead of hot water as it takes much energy to hot cold water.
6. Switch off all lights and bulbs when you go out on a vacation. It is also recommended to switch off your refrigerator if you planning to go out for more than a week.
7. Recycle products as much as you can. If you do not recycle them then they will go in for some kind of transformation which again will consume some energy.
8. More cars on the roads increase congestion. Use public transport as much as possible. If your office is little far from home, try to catch a bus or metro. The cost of ride in a bus will be much less than the fuel and parking cost. Not to mention the carbon credits that you will earn.
9. Try not to print unnecessary documents. If you have some documents to read, copy them on your laptop and read them. In short, save paper.
10. Do not use dryer to dry clothes. If you get enough sunlight at you home, then make use of it and dry them on clothesline.
11. Do not plan to put your appliances on standby mode. Switch them off if you do not plan to use them for some time. They keep continuing using electricity when you put them on standby mode.
12. If you and your colleagues come from the same area, then suggest the idea of carpooling to him / her. This way you can share the burden of fuel and save carbon footprint.
13. Always purchase energy efficient appliances. Most appliances come with energy efficiency rating and you can go for the high rating appliance.
14. Switch off your engine at traffic light. You may feel lazy doing it every time but eventually this will help you save money and lower your carbon footprint.
15. When you go out for shopping, prefer to buy things with less packaging. Carry a bag with you, preferably a jute bag instead of plastic bag.
There are quite a lot of other tips that can be used to reduce carbon footprints like growing plants in your backyard, smoking less, use your water heater less ,. You can use some online tools to calculate your carbon footprints. If you have large carbon footprints, you can even consider buying carbon credits to offset you emissions. Overall, there are so many ways by which you can help save the environment. If you can make just one change, it will matter a lot. So why not start lowering your carbon footprint today itself?